1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Featured Such a good read!

Discussion in 'Richmond Ramblings' started by Anduril, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Anduril

Anduril Revered Assistant Coach Site Immortal

Featured Threads:
  2. Bones

Bones Seriously Well Liked

Too brutal to be a fairytale win. Love it. Thanks Andi.

Broadsword likes this.
  3. Vines

Vines Adored Site Immortal

Featured Threads:
    Yeah really enjoyed that.

Broadsword likes this.
  4. Vines

Featured Threads:
    "What was most remarkable is that at no stage in any final did they ever really look like losing. The only time alarm bells rang – and the ringing was faint – was in the first half of the preliminary final, where GWS played the game on its own terms. It was the only stretch where Richmond lost its identity, allowing GWS to play the game out in open space. But even so, most teams – even historically great teams – will have entire finals where they lose themselves then have to eke out a result at the death. The closest the Tigers ever came to capitulation was a slightly nervous opening half where they took a lead to the main break before winning by six goals. The completeness of their dominance was absurd.

So too, though, was Adelaide’s leading up to the Grand Final. But on the big day, Adelaide walked into the exam room armed simply with an expensive pen and visions of exquisite handwriting. The Tigers brought neck tattoos and a baseball bat. And they had a nicer pen too."

Love that second para, although I must admit I was nervous in all three games pretty much till the end.

iTiger59, bagwarn and Broadsword like this.
  5. amigo

amigo Revered

Featured Threads:
    An aptly named thread.

So much that is hard to put into words, he's captured in this very well written description of a season and more specifically a finals series that I'm still trying to get my head around.

bagwarn and Broadsword like this.
  6. Vines

Featured Threads:
    Jools, Anduril, honestjohn and 5 others like this.
  7. honestjohn

honestjohn Very Very Well Liked

Both great articles, and resonating. And I'm still trying to process it all. I think for me the watershed moment was the injury to Caddy v Geelong - where they had to bring in a "similar" player in Townsend. But they didn't get that - what they got was the last piece of the puzzle. They had a game plan that they worked on all year but couldn't work out how to kick a lot of goals - until Townsend. Fremantle 25 goals. St Kilda 18 goals. With no need for that extra defender now, Markov unfortunately had to make way when Caddy returned. And then the defence becomes tighter against better opposition! Go figure.

Jools, Vosstiger and Vines like this.