1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Trouble Logging in?

With the recent changes to the website protocol from http to https, you may experience difficulty logging into the site.

To remedy this, simply clear your browser cache. If you are unsure how do this, please follow these instructions.

Dismiss Notice
  3. Yellow Sash Award

The Votes are in for Round 15!

The Leaderboard after Round 15 shows Dusty pulling away from the competition with Rance opening up a small break now 3 points ahead of Cotch..

26 points

13 points

10 points
    1st2nd3rd

4. Yellow and Black Coterie Memberships available

You can become a Coterie Member of the Yellow and Black Website by signing up here.

It only costs AU$10 per year and will allow you to view the Yellow and Black Website free of all advertisements. You'll also receive recognition as a Coterie Member with a scroll underneath your Username in your posts on the site.

There will be future benefits available which will be announced soon!

Dismiss Notice
  5. 'YELLOWANDBLACK.COM.AU' wristbands are now available. They are made from quality yellow silicone with black embossed writing. Price is $8.00 each which includes GST and postage. Purchase now at the Y & B Shop and you'll receive them in time for the 2017 AFL Season.

Match Review & Yellow Sash Voting [Round 4: Brisbane v Richmond AFL2017]

Discussion in 'Richmond Ramblings' started by Broadsword, Apr 10, 2017.

Rank Player Points Votes
1 06 - Shaun Grigg 49 18
2 12 - David Astbury 27 12
3 08 - Jack Riewoldt 19 11
4 46 - Jason Castagna 11 10
5 03 - Dion Prestia 6 4
6 09 - Trent Cotchin 5 3
7 18 - Alex Rance 2 1
8 30 - Reece Conca 1 1

1. 17Sash

17Sash Seriously Well Liked

Featured Threads:
    It is a great feeling to have Richmond as the leading team in Melbourne, something I grew up with. It rekindles great memories. The Rioli pass to Castagna was sensational. The VFL results are promising too.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
    Lazza, terry31 and iTiger59 like this.
  2. amigo

amigo Revered

Martin had three opponents to contend with, 2 at stoppages, 1 when he went forward. Brisbane certainly did their homework on nullifying him.

All that focus on one player frees up a few others, good to see we as a team took advantage and dominated them.

terry31 and 17Sash like this.
  3. Black

Black Loved Site Immortal

Featured Threads:
    I know what the stats say and I know what my eyes saw.

His disposal sucked from what I recall. There were a few absolute howlers in his 22 possies , i'm certain of that.

I'll have another look at the game at some point and if I'm wrong I'll apologise.

4. Gracie

Gracie Loved Site Immortal

Featured Threads:
    To me Prestia didn't have so many howlers to stand out alone in so many howlers by multiple Richmond players.

In fact he had a pretty good game as inside mid.

Vosstiger likes this.
  5. Barrel

Barrel Revered

Featured Threads:
    You're not wrong. It was and has been horrendous so far

Readie9 and Black like this.
  6. 1000 CAMELS

1000 CAMELS Seriously Well Liked

when you watch the replay its actually even worse. he marks the ball 40 out - thinks about a short pass and stops, then instead of going back he looks for another pass and then another until he find a crap option and stuffs it up. it is as if he had convinced himself that he was going to pass it and nothing was going to change his mind.

5 mins later he has the ball in an identical spot 9maybe further out) and kicks it.

brain damage more like it !!

Geez we did some dumb things during the game.

But for some reason I was really worried about this game so if you told me wed win by 50 points I would have taken it with bells on

go figure - we played pretty crappy football and won by 50 ...

imagine when we play great footy what will happen

Go you good things !!

Vines, terry31, Broadsword and 2 others like this.
  7. 1000 CAMELS

By the way .... geez we're missing Vickery

oh hang on - Hawks are missing him now too.

Lazza likes this.
  8. Gracie

Featured Threads:
    Think he is a non event. The Hawks lost by 86 last week with Vickery and without him they lost by 86.

9. TigerHardwick

TigerHardwick Seriously Well Liked

Featured Threads:
    against better opposition so if he played yesterday they would have lost by 134 ha ha as they def would have run it out easier and I think Sicily replaced him and was only hawk to play well

amigo, 1000 CAMELS and Gracie like this.
  10. Gracie

Featured Threads:
    But are Geelong really that better?

They have beaten Freo 1st round when Freo were still playing their duds. Then beat Norf, who are on the way down, coming from behind to win by a point. Then beat Melbourne due to some unbelievable conversion rate and Melbourne's lack of conversion. #/4 time score was Geelong 20goals 2 behinds to Melbourne 12 goals 17. There was a particular 15 minute stretch in the third quarter where Melbourne kicked 1 goal 7 to Geelong's 2 goals. Then Hawks who are in depression mode.

Actually just had a look at their draw. Man they have it easy especially with two games against Hawthorn and playing most of the top sides at Skilled Stadium. Free ride this year.

amigo and Black like this.
  11. 1000 CAMELS

very vigorously disagree - which is why I keep posting about him

the fact that he played 15 games before being dropped whist being lazy and having a very poor attitude is testament to Dimma- and thats why I was calling for his head. For Dimma to continuously play Vickery was an injustice and quite frankly a sign that he wasn't prepared to drop poor performers. Very much unlike Blake is doing this year.

Move forward 6 months - we do not miss the guy and we certainly don't miss his lazy attitude and effort. Have you ever seen a Richmond team apply as much forward line pressure ?

and you know what we need ?? a tall forward - but I'd rather have Elton than Vickery - or Chol. Elton does nothing - but so does Vickery except Vickery will cost us an extra 300k a year which id rather use on Dusty

non event ??? Actually he is EXACTLY the event and the epitome of what we saw last year.

12. Black

Black Loved Site Immortal

Featured Threads:
    I mentioned in a post after the game that he made a couple of errors through inexperience and the incident you're highlighting was one of them.

However I think that error was understandable because I reckon it was a direct result of a worse error he'd made not long before that.

We were on the burst and he had the ball and was streaming inside 50. He had Grigg wide open to his right 30 meters out from goal dead in front but he didn't give it off.
    Instead he put the blinkers on and had a ping from 45m out and missed.

So even though he should've , there was no way he was taking a shot for goal from 40m out five minutes later.

Just inexperience , but the flip side is the goal he kicked in the 2nd qtr where he sharked the ball , sold a bit of candy and snapped a goal.

His composure and smarts in that tight situation belied his experience at AFL level and that was the moment he convinced me that he might be alright.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
    iTiger59 and 1000 CAMELS like this.
  13. Lazza

Lazza Revered

Featured Threads:
    Stats trump perception !!!

I always thought his disposal was pretty good. I guess watching him every minute of every game now, the 36% poor disposals stick in my mind... He sure has made some shockers..

Seems to be a trait across the league at the moment .. Certainly the increases in pressure acts on the ball winner is definitely having an impact..

Nonetheless, there is room for improvement..

Gracie likes this.
  14. amigo

amigo Revered

Yes, a new coach would have taken the immediate pressure off for on field success. No doubt we would have been fed a new 5 year plan under a new messiah coach, same old........... yawn.

I much prefer immediate success :D Whatever they are doing, it might just turn the debacle into a stroke of genius.

17Sash likes this.
  15. Ned

Ned Seriously Well Liked Coach Foundation Member Site Immortal

Featured Threads:
    Just a reminder that Yellow Sash voting closes tonight (Wednesday)

16. 17Sash

17Sash Seriously Well Liked

Featured Threads:
    Yes, it would be insane to change the coaching and football department staff for the next couple of years.

17. tommy_g

tommy_g Very Very Well Liked

At least he learned the lesson. No doubt someone like Jack would have told him to back himself if he finds himself in that situation again

1000 CAMELS likes this.
  18. 1000 CAMELS

agree - I think Jack has become a terrific on field leader. I was not happy when he was removed from leadership group but maybe it was just the tonic he needed

Ms Tantie and iTiger59 like this.
  19. Vines

Vines Adored Site Immortal

Featured Threads:
    To be fair, not like he changed much when he wasn't in the official LG.
    wears his heart on his arm...