1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Yellow Sash Award Results

The voting for Round 5 of AFL 2017 has now closed.

Dusty leads from Cotch with Grigg, Nankervis, and Riewoldt sharing 3rd place

1st2nd3rd

3. Yellow and Black Coterie Memberships available

You can become a Coterie Member of the Yellow and Black Website by signing up here.

It only costs AU$10 per year and will allow you to view the Yellow and Black Website free of all advertisements. You'll also receive recognition as a Coterie Member with a scroll underneath your Username in your posts on the site.

There will be future benefits available which will be announced soon!

Dismiss Notice
  4. Don't forget to join the Yellow and Black Tipping competition!

Simply go to the Y & B Tipping page and join the pool, "AFL 2017 Season". You'll be able to select your picks for Round 1 on the Monday prior. You'll also need to select the margin for the first game each round.

Matches are locked once the game commences so you can change your selections up until game time.

5. 'YELLOWANDBLACK.COM.AU' wristbands are now available. They are made from quality yellow silicone with black embossed writing. Price is $8.00 each which includes GST and postage. Purchase now at the Y & B Shop and you'll receive them in time for the 2017 AFL Season.

Who'll be Our Next Couldabeens?

Discussion in 'Help & Suggestions Forum' started by Graeme Bowman, Nov 27, 2015.

1. Graeme Bowman

Graeme Bowman Revered

Okay, our 2016 list has been finalised. At this stage, we haven't seen a single recruit play for the Tiges. We only have a thread of hope linking each player's highlights reel to our perpetually unfulfilled dreams. So what better time to place our bets on who will be our next couldabeens?

Ignoring things like career ending injuries or HarleyBennellic off-field demeanours, who are the most likely players to be evicted from their lockers at the end of next season. Such eviction could be for reasons such as:
    1. just not up to AFL standard
    2. okay, but won't be part of our next premiership side
    3. superfluous to needs; ie third or fourth banana for a certain position
    Below are my own discussion starters. Please add your own, citing for each name which of the above criteria applies, your reasoning, and whether they are likely to be delisted or traded. At various points during the season, we can revisit this thread to tweak our predictions.

By the way, @black has offered himself as a human sacrifice to the person proven to be the best prophet.

A few of my own predictions: (please bear in mind that I have no idea what I'm doing)

Just not up to AFL standard
    • Elton; too cumbersome; delisted
    Okay, but won't be part of our next premiership side
    • Morris; overtaken by Yarran in defence or Lennon/C Ellis up forward; delisted
    Superfluous to needs
    • Lloyd; ends up behind Rioli, Edwards and others who have more party tricks; traded, then tears us a new one the following year
    • Conca; ends up behind Townsend, Moore and the like; traded, but doesn't tear anyone a new one for the rest of his career.
    • Griffiths; falls behind McBean and Astbury for consistency; traded for another ruck/forward (I really hope I'm wrong with this prediction.)

(Look, I know this thread is entirely hypothetical and totally unnecessary, but, during the off-season, some of us have to cobble together a reason for living.)

2. thebigricho

thebigricho Loved Site Immortal

Featured Threads:
    History shows anyone Frank Jackson picks after round 2 or rookies is near buggered before they start.

3. Vines

Vines Loved Site Immortal

Featured Threads:
    I like Lloyd. Something about him!!!

4. thebigricho

Featured Threads:
    I get a dirty thrill out of yelling his name at the footy like an Essendon supporter.

Broadsword likes this.
  5. Broadsword

Broadsword Revered

Featured Threads:
    Fetish freak!

thebigricho likes this.
  6. terry31

terry31 Revered

Featured Threads:
    OK, I have approached this differently, I have looked at the list and have selected, who I consider to be walk up starts, the rest have to earn their positions by season start.
    Lids, Dusty, Cotchin, Jack, B Ellis, Rance, Edwards, Houli (sorry black, him or Yarran,) Miles, Vlaustin, Maric, Ty. That leaves 10 spots with more than 30 challengers. Me thinks a lot of players have to start living and eating footy or they will busking.

7. amigo

amigo Revered

Grimes would have to be an over sight Tez? I can understand you leaving Grigg out.....

8. terry31

terry31 Revered

Featured Threads:
    No oversight, Yarran, Taylor Hunt, Astbury, Griffiths, Batchelor, Chaplin, Morris, Castagna, Moore, Broad, maybe even 1 of the rookies, all can play in that position. I rate Dylan, but he will have to be at his best coz the competition is red hot. Also has to get through the pre season without injury, I reckon he has his hands full.

9. simmo27

simmo27 Very Very Well Liked

To save time they didn't give Hampson a locker this year, just a Coles shopping bag. Having said that he would really need to improve to be considered a couldabeen

Graeme Bowman and BigTigerCasey like this.
  10. BigTigerCasey

BigTigerCasey Revered Coterie Member

Featured Threads:
    Maric & Ty as start-ups? Are we talking 2017 season?

I love Ivvy, but that might be a season too far for him.

Ty - needs consistency before he gets a rose.

Again if this is season 2017 we are looking at, Houli Dooley might be getting long in the tooth (although it would seem he is being groomed for a role forward, so that might extend his career, but then we have the likes of Lennon, R.McK who could really step up in 2016).

11. terry31

terry31 Revered

Featured Threads:
    I included Ivan because unless Hampson surprises he has to be it, but Ty I reckon is his replacement or next season Chollo if he grows, and his is still growing. Soldo might come on also. But the 2nd Tier are looking strong, I know everyone rates Lennon and so do I but he is going to be challenged by Corey Ellis, Rioli, Lambert, Short, Marcon, Butler, Grigg, Menadue. Moore, Oleg So he is going to have to really have a great preseason and be consistent.
    What I like is that the competition for places will be fierce, like it is with top 4 sides. Second tier players are good enough to replace any senior player. That's why I'm excited about the list. We suddenly have a top bottom 12.

Vosstiger likes this.
  12. terry31

terry31 Revered

Featured Threads:
    Sorry, I'm talking 2016 season. By 2017 the talent will be GI nomous. Doubt Ivy will get a guernsey. But Ty will.

13. Vines

Featured Threads:
    The likelihood of late round draft picks let alone rookies being long term best 22 players is really remote.
    If soldo plays a senior game I will be very very surprised.

14. Vosstiger

Vosstiger Revered Assistant Coach Coterie Member

It would mean we have a very good development team

15. Vines

Featured Threads:
    Tbr

thebigricho likes this.
  16. thebigricho

Featured Threads:
    Yes?

Broadsword likes this.
  17. Vines

Featured Threads:
    Sorry mate. Was just answering the thread title.

thebigricho likes this.